Friday, October 3, 2008

Domo-kun stars in Target's Halloween Campaign

Target's Domo-kun Halloween campaign
Caught on iPhone camera: Domo-kun signage!

In Target's Halloween campaign, Japan's lovable, fuzzy brown export, Domo-kun, plays the starring role. In stores, Domo-kun displays are eye-capturing, smartly designed, and cheeky: Domo-kun as a ghost? Vampire? Disgruntled pumpkin carver? Check, check, check. I saw a three-foot Domo-kun replica hanging in the store front and asked the Target store manager if I could have it post-Halloween. Keeping my fingers crossed. Meantime, Target.com's Halloween section has dedicated an interactive section to Domo-kun. Watch a Domo-kun episode and the making of Domo-kun.  I've included a lil' slideshow of my favorite moments within it. Pretty smart of Target to tie Domo-kun's appeal to the Halloween spirit, this is the most memorable Halloween campaign I've seen Target run. Good stuff!

Target's Domo-kun Halloween Campaign
Target's Domo-kun Halloween Campaign
Target's Domo-kun Halloween Campaign
Target's Domo-kun Halloween Campaign
Target's Domo-kun Halloween Campaign
Target's Domo-kun Halloween Campaign


Update: I am crushed. I followed up with my local Target to ask the manager about their signage policies (I had wanted to be first on the list to snatch the domo-kun doll hanging in their Hallowee displays). According to her, Target isn't allowed to give their signage art away to consumers. Boooooooooo!!!! So, readers, ask your fellow Target managers and see if you guys got the same response! 

2 comments:

DJ BlkDiamondz said...

I actually work at a Target. And when i saw the Domo decorations i went crazy!. I asked my managers if we were allowed to have them. They said they HAVE to throw them away so people won't fight over them plus some of the domo posters are licensed. But i did manage to get 2 small little posters that where hanging up in the aisles.

ms.dearlydevoted said...

Hey, thanks for the heads up. Maybe Target's store policy changed for this scenario, a few years back my brother's ex-gf managed to keep some cool Target Halloween signage. I had hoped against hopes I could nab Domo-kun. I mean, its a shame really, I bet they could have donated proceeds to charities for the prices they would ahve fetched. :(

I was almost tempted to dumpster dive for this dude. Ha ha.